Thursday, December 1, 2011

Week 3: Rigging

The following are screenshots of poses taken from the finished rig model:

Pose 1





Pose 2






Pose 3







Reverse Foot Lock








Other Screenshots





Rigging was a lot tougher than I ever expected and not to mention extremely tedious. I now have a new-found respect for 3D modelers. I learn a lot from the exercise, such as how to create our own attributes and controls, along with binding the skeleton to the model. These would be very useful in making our own 3D models and rigging it for animation. Pretty much sums up the saying, "Hard work always pays off.".

I faced a lot of difficulty in the rigging despite how straightforward the tutorial was. The tutorial never mentioned that the solution for IK handlers needs to be set to rotation, so when I was doing Pole Vectors, an error occurred and it took me a while to be able to find a fix. Also, weight painting was especially hard and tedious, especially considering how consistent testing is the only way to find out if the model works as intended. Ultimately, my model is somewhat faulty but, as seen above, still capable of posing. Majority of the faults were on the arms and especially the legs (the leg had difficulty bending).

Rigging was really a new experience for me, even though I've rigged a model on IN3D previously. Regardless, that model was simple in comparison to this bipedal one. I know I will return to the tutorial should I ever need to rig a model again.

No comments:

Post a Comment