Monday, December 5, 2011

Project: Character Sketch Design and Appearance

These are the final sketches of my character, Jaden Highland.




Due to limitations in free-hand drawing, and my lack of skill in it, I had to modify the pictures slightly with Adobe Photoshop to show the character's full-body.

Description:
As mentioned in my previous post, Jaden wears a blindfold despite not being blind. Hence, its implementation is crucial in the character design. One thing to note is that Jaden was never meant to be feminine appearance-wise, hence she was given a somewhat bulky but mostly athletic built to fit in with the universe she was in. This can also be seen in her arms, where muscles are barely visible, along with the width of her body and her proportions being similar to a male (wide shoulders, thinner hips). However, her hair was kept long and flowing to preserve her feminism. She was given a revealing, strapless top to represent her vulnerability as, though powerful she may be, she was still young, immature and mortal.

When it comes to color, her blindfold and hair will be black to represent the gloominess and darkness of the storyline and situation she was thrown in. Her top apparel will be made dark purple to display her capability to control both Light and Dark (Blue + Red = Purple).

These are previous sketches done before I finalized the design of her head and face.


To be frank, I was already satisfied with my first sketch but I decided to continue exploring other possible facial features. I tried shortening her hair, making her face chubbier and skinnier but ultimately, my first design was chosen as it fits her character best.

Inspirations
Illidan Stormrage
Warcraft Franchise
Inspired Jaden's blindfolded appearance and her dual powers (Light and Dark. Good and Evil).


 Starkiller a.k.a Galen Marek
Star Wars Franchise
Inspired Jaden's Reverse Grip fighting style


Character Concept
 Adobe Flash Drawing of Jaden Highland

No comments:

Post a Comment